帖子

精华

超级版主

原力
水晶
发表于 2009-4-3 18:19 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
(Always an Adventure)

2003年5月24日

It was Thursday, March 27, at 10:40 am when my manager almost casually mentioned across the office, "Oh we got the word. You're going to Australia." A whirlwind of paperwork, packing and planning later, I'm now sitting at Gate 94 of San Francisco International Airport, waiting for the plane that will take me down to Sydney to cover the filming of Episode III, the final missing piece in the Star Wars puzzle.
(2003年)3月27日星期四,上午10:40,我的经理穿过办公室时近乎随口说道:“哦,我们得到通知了。你要去澳大利亚。”风风火火地完成文书工作、行李打包和工作计划后,我现在就坐在旧金山国际机场94号登机口,等待飞往悉尼的航班,我是去报道EP3拍摄,这是《星球大战》拼图缺失的最后一块拼板。

I forget exactly how the idea of planting a correspondent in the thick of things came about. It was something that just wasn't feasible with Episode II. Our starwars.com team is so small (you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you), sparing a body for an extended trip Down Under just couldn't happen. But now, we've got more experience and resources under our belts to make this possible.
我忘了在这纷繁的事件中安排通讯员的主意到底是怎么产生的了。这在EP2拍摄时是绝对不可行的。我们starwars.com团队人数是如此少(如果我告诉你,你八成不会相信),以至于挤出个人特别出差到澳大利亚是不会发生的。但是现在,我们有了更多的经验和资源使之成为可能。

Around the Ranch, there's a business-school buzz-phrase called "managing ambiguity," a laudable skill in this kind of work. It fits rather well with this ongoing set diary since we won't know what we've got until we've got it. It's doubly fitting since that applies to filmmaking as well, particularly in the organic "living document" approach favored by George Lucas. This online journal is a new adventure, and who knows where it'll take us (I honestly don't... but I've got a few ideas).
(天行者)农场里有句叫“管理不确定”商学院术语,叫做“managing ambiguity”,意指“应对不明确的事”,在这工作中是值得称赞的技巧。它非常适用于“片场日记”的连载,因为我们在作出报道之前从不知道将会报道些什么。它双倍适用于电影拍摄的进程,特别是乔治•卢卡斯喜欢的“幕后花絮直播”。这种网络日志是新的冒险,谁知道这会把我们带向何方(老实说我不知道……不过我已经有了些主意)。

My task is to communicate my experiences on set through regular updates, but there's a lot of room to maneuver within that very vague direction. So expect this journal to develop and evolve as the production continues. Since my own background is from fandom, I'll try to point out the things fans would find unusual, remarkable, or just plain cool.
我的工作是通过定期更新日志把我的见闻描述出来,不过在这非常模糊的目标里有很多的发挥空间。因此期望这日志能随着影片拍摄而逐步发展进化起来。因为我本身就是影迷,所以我会尽力报道那些会被影迷们认为是非同寻常、引人注目或帅呆酷毙的事物。

I'm sure many readers out there are eagerly -- or nervously -- asking "Will there be spoilers?" Yeah, well, probably, depending on your definition of spoiler. But that's too narrow a view of what this journal's about. Sure, some of the story of Episode III will be touched upon, but this is the story of the making of the movie. If you're afraid of knowing too much, I'll be sensitive to that with appropriate warnings and whatnot. On the other hand, if you're convinced that nothing substantive will leak out through these reports, I can say that I will need to put certain things into context, and if doing so lets attentive readers deduce Episode III secrets, so be it. And, on top of that, you get the added benefit of knowing that these reports are true and not misheard Internet gossip or bogus news.
我确信那儿有许多读者都急切地——或焦虑地——询问:“会有剧情透露吗?”是啊,好吧,可能吧,取决于你对剧情透露的定义。不过对这份日志内容的这种看法实在太狭隘了。当然,这会涉及一些EP3故事情节,不过这更是关于这部影片制作的故事。如果你担心知道太多,我会谨慎处理,如用适当警告之类的字眼提醒。另一方面,如果你确信这些报道里不会有什么实质性的剧情透露,那我可以说,我需要把某些内容融入背景中,如果这样做会让细心的读者推测出EP3的秘密,那就这样吧。而且最重要的一点,你可以得到额外的好处,即:你知道这些报告是真实的,而不是互联网上的小道消息或虚假新闻。

The last few weeks, I've been re-reading Alan Arnold's Once Upon A Galaxy and Derek Taylor's The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark to see what other precedents there were for chronicling a Lucasfilm venture. Those aren't completely compatible examples, however, since this journal and Episode III are unique ventures. The writers of those books knew their works would come out scrubbed clean years after the project began, with several pairs of editorial eyes that knew the end of the story looking over their works.
过去的几周里,我重读了艾伦•阿诺德的《银河往事》和德里克•泰勒的《<法柜奇兵>幕后制作》,以了解其他那些为卢卡斯影业冒险旅程撰写编年史的作家是怎么作的。可是,那并不是完全相同的例子,因为这份日记以及EP3本身都是从未有过的冒险。那些书籍的作者知道他们的作品会在计划启动后,经过几年的增减修饰,并且有几个知道故事结局的编辑盯着校验,然后才会出版发行,

This journal doesn't have the benefit of that safety net. It's just a writer on one side of the world, and an editor on the other, serving this up to the Hyperspace community. "Raw" will probably end up being a good word to describe this.
这份日记并没有这样的安全网来保证安全。它只有一个作者在地球的这一边,一个编辑在地球的另一边,他们一起把片场日记放到超空间网站上。“未加工”可能会成为形容这种日记的一个好词。

So here's the first entry. I'm getting my routine preflight butterflies, and am shaking away those oh-too-common spasms of uncertainty where I'm convinced I forgot to pack something, pay that one bill, or shut off an iron I don't even own.
所以这里是第一篇日记。我开始感到自己那种常有的起飞前的紧张感——比如我确信我忘了把什么重要东西打包,忘了支付支票,或是忘了关掉一个根本不存在的电熨斗,我得把这种“哦太普遍了”的对于不确定因素的痉挛打发掉。

They've started boarding passengers. I'd best unplug and get ready for the next fourteen or so hours airborne. See you Down Under.
开始登机了。我得拔掉电源插头,并且为接下来十四小时左右的飞行做好准备。澳大利亚再见。

翻译:August
校对:Aweng

本版积分规则

星球大战中文网官方微信公众号

手机版|星球大战中文网 ( 沪ICP备09001291号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 21:03 , Processed in 0.060926 second(s), 18 queries .